Sunday 19 December 2010

ACCU-CHEK Aviva Blood Glucose Meter



I have been a Type 2 diabetic for the past 8 years. I have been through plenty of meters during this time. I started with the LifeScan One Touch meter. That was covered by my insurance carrier. But then I switched jobs and began going to the VA for my treatments. They use Accu-Chek products, so I had to change meters that I was uncomfortable with because it took took 45 seconds to read the results whereas the One Touch was a 5 second readout. When you're feeling hypoglycemic, time spent waiting for the results REALLY matters. I had been trying other meters in between, and then Accu-Chek came out with what I consider their best meter yet, the Aviva. It uses a very small amount of blood to conduct a test, and the lancing device that comes with it is something unlike any other device I have seen, the Multiclix. Lancets are stored in a drum, 6 at a time. You never have to touch another lancet. Never have to worry about accidentally sticking yourself when you're changing or discarding lancets.

This meter is lot more stylish than the Advantage. It is faster, more accurate, uses an infrared device to transmit testing information stored on a computer unlike the Advantage which needed a cable, and you can even customize the front face with a variety of "skins" that fits your personality or lifestyle.

The Aviva meter takes a giant step forward in technology for Roche, but the Multiclix Lancing Device steals the show. Even if you don't use an Accu-Chek meter, you owe it to yourself to switch to this outstanding lancing device. You even get 2 more lancets in the box rather than the standard 100 lancet package (17 drums - 6 lancets in each = 102). It's pain-free testing and you can even test yourself on your thigh if you want. Not too many other lancing devices can make that claim. In fact, there are 6 locations you can test yourself - finger tip, palm, forearm, upper arm, thigh, and calf.

All in all, I am very happy Roche developed the Aviva and the Multiclix Lancing Device. The VA has made the switch to this much better meter (though they still give you the Softclix Lancing Device with their packaging). If you're a veteran reading this, throw away your Advantage and go to the Pharmacy to get the new Aviva.

No comments:

Post a Comment