Sunday 19 December 2010

Alli works in the digestive system and does not have a direct effect on the brain or speed up the metabolism

alli is more than just a pill. It's an innovative weight loss program that works with you, not for you. alli can help you lose 50% more weight than dieting alone, but you have to do your part by changing the way you eat and live to see results. Is the hard work worth it? Yes. With alli you can achieve gradual and healthy weight loss. If you do your part, alli can teach you smart eating and activity habits you can follow for a lifetime.

REVIEW :

I started taking Alli about two months ago to augment my diet and exercise program. I'm active, and with a BMI of 26, I just wanted to lose about 20 lbs that wasn't coming off with my fairly intense cardio routine and low-fat diet. I would take Alli as directed with meals containing some fat but rarely more than the suggested amount of fat. And I did experience the treatment effects with meals within the suggested fat allotment: frequent, oily stools, random oily discharge (very gross), and stomach pain about 45 minutes after eating. However, they weren't severe enough to make me stop taking the med. Over time, I didn't lose an ounce but kept taking the pill as directed, hoping that it would kick in over time. It didn't. And then I had a higher fat meal after taking one Alli pill. I know that the`treatment effects' are supposed to act like aversion therapy, but this was ridiculous. I ended up in the ER with crippling, stabbing stomach pain and dry-heaving. I had such a bad reaction that stomach pumping was treatment of choice. The ER doc suggested I throw the pills out as soon as I got home.

After recovering from the ER ordeal and promptly pitching the bottle of Alli (the aversion therapy didn't work to GlaxoSmithKline's advantage this time), I did a little bit of research and found that I was not the only one with adverse reactions requiring medical care. This med has been linked to pancreatitis, gall stones, and possibly colon cancer (research was kind of spotty on this). Will everyone react this way to the drug? Of course not. Every med has side effects and not everyone can tolerate certain drugs. However, I hope that people will consider the risks and weigh the benefits before spending quite a bit of money on something that may not work.

Overall, I ended up with nasty side effects, a considerable ER bill, and no weight loss. And for those it does work for, you may become dependent on the drug for continued weight loss or even weight maintenance (this is from the actual website)- quite a price to pay to lose 2 to 3 more pounds more than you would have with diet and exercise alone. If Alli works for you, awesome- more power to you. But before you buy, please read the fine print- the pill may cost you a lot more than you bargained for.

No comments:

Post a Comment